Title of the Project: WOMEN ENTREPRENUERSHIP IN RENEWABLE ENERGY
Project Period: Sept 2014 – March 2015
Specific objectives of the project:
- Launch of Women in Renewable Energy Partnership Campaign.
- Provide an expandable, replicable business model for off-grid service delivery
- Create an enabling business environment for renewable energy entrepreneurship through supportive policies, regulations and incentives.
- 30,000 households had access to information on climate change, renewable energy (solar energy), and entrepreneurship through forums.
- 10 women and youth groups were provided with seed capital to establish business enterprises
- Business model developed whereby the women get loans from the women groups depending on their savings
- Distribution of 400 solar lanterns in Makueni and Kajiado Counties thus reducing of wood fuel for lighting at homes.
- Economic improvement – each household saving KES. 140/week and average shop has an income of about KES 15,000/month. Money is channeled towards group projects and activities which benefit all members.